What Coverage Can I Seek After a Work-Related Car Accident?

Click Here To Get Started NowCall Us 24/7

holding steering wheel

You may worry about how your car accident while you were “on the clock” might affect your job status with your employer. What’s more, you may grow concerned about how your incurred injuries and damages might inhibit your ability to return to your job entirely. These worries may lead you to the question: how am I supposed to recover after my on-the-job car accident? Read on to discover what kind of coverage applies to your work-related injuries and damages and how a seasoned Tampa car accident lawyer at Merricks Law Group, P.A. can ensure your rightful compensation.

What kind of coverage can I seek after a work-related car accident?

Contrary to what you may initially assume, it is, unfortunately, possible to be made the victim of a work-related car accident even if your job position is not specifically as a driver. So regardless of your title, you may be eligible to seek coverage via a workers’ compensation claim. Examples of when this may apply are as follows:

  • Your accident occurred while you were “clocked in” at work.
  • You were performing work-related duties at the time of your accident.
  • You were being paid during your travel time (i.e., you were on a business trip).

But if your car accident does not meet any of the aforementioned parameters, then it may not be considered work-related. Therefore, you may have to turn to the personal injury protection (PIP) tied to your auto insurance plan. Examples of when this may apply are as follows:

  • You were simply commuting to or from the workplace at the time of your accident.
  • You are classified as an independent contractor by your employer (i.e., you are an Uber or Lyft driver).
  • Your accident was not caused by a work-related factor (i.e., you had partaken in drug or alcohol use before getting behind the wheel).

What important dates must I keep in mind after an on-the-job car accident?

If you are seeking recovery through your PIP coverage plan, you must file your claim with your insurance provider sooner rather than later. Any delay may raise questions as to how serious your injuries and damages are, along with their correlation to the car accident event itself.

On the other hand, if you are pursuing a workers’ compensation claim, you must promptly notify your employer of the car accident event. More specifically, you must report it within 30 days from the date on which your car accident occurred.

Lastly, you may turn to legal action if you receive insufficient recovery or if your claim is denied altogether. With this, you must remember that the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim in the state of Florida is two years. Meaning, two years from the date on which your car accident occurred.

In conclusion, you require the services of a competent Tampa work injury lawyer before filing any kind of claim. So please schedule your initial consultation with us at Merricks Law Group, P.A. today.

Latest Blog Posts

© 2024 Merricks Law Group, P.A.. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer | Sitemap | Privacy Policy