Drunk driving is one of the leading causes of car accidents in the United States, and our Tampa drunk driving accident lawyer is here to find justice for victims. Though everybody knows that it is both illegal and downright unsafe to drive while under the influence of alcohol, many people still do so, and if you were injured as a result of someone’s lapse of judgment, our firm is right by your side. According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, in 2020 alone, over 4,000 crashes occurred as a result of drunk driving, and of those crashes, over 2,000 people were injured. This is unacceptable.
Please continue reading and contact our Tampa drunk driving accident lawyer at Merricks Law Group to learn more about drunk driving accidents in Florida and how our firm can assist you if you have been injured in one.
Why Hire a Tampa Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer?
When injured by a drunk driver, it is critical that you retain the services of an experienced Hillsborough County personal injury lawyer who understands the complexities of drunk driving accident cases. Our firm has helped countless victims of drunk driving accidents for years, and we are ready to do the same for you.
What Should I Do After an Accident With a Drunk Driver?
If you are injured in an accident with a drunk driver, there is a very good chance that you may not be able to do anything other than wait for the police to arrive. However, if you can, you should take the following steps:
- Call law enforcement to the scene of the accident. They will file a police report, send an ambulance, and, most likely, they will require the allegedly intoxicated individual to submit to a breathalyzer test. The results of this test can play a critical role in winning your personal injury claim.
- Ask witnesses for their contact information, including their name, email address, and phone number, as they may corroborate your personal injury claim at a later date.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your vehicle and the other motorist’s vehicle.
- Once you are transported to a hospital and receive medical treatment, ensure you ask your doctor for all medical documentation/bills regarding your accident.
- Retain the services of an experienced Tampa drunk driving accident lawyer who can work to uncover all additional forms of evidence needed to satisfy the burden of proof on your behalf.
What is Florida’s Dram Shop Law?
Many states throughout the country have what are known as “dram shop laws.” Essentially, these laws allow injured parties to hold liable third parties responsible for accidents caused by intoxication. Florida’s dram shop law states that if an establishment serves alcohol to an individual who is either under the age of 21, or an individual who is “habitually addicted” to alcohol, and that person caused an accident and injured someone else as a result, the injured party may sue the driver, as well as the establishment that served the driver, for damages.
Statute of Limitations
Every state has a statute of limitations for personal injury claims, and Florida is no different. If you were injured in an accident in Florida due to no fault of your own, you will have two years from the date of your accident to take legal action against the liable party. Waiting any longer than two years will most likely relinquish your right to sue. That being said, the sooner you bring your claim to our firm’s attention, the better. We are here to assist you today.
Contact Our Tampa Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer
Drunk driving accident victims should never have to fight for justice alone. Our Tampa drunk driving accident lawyer has helped countless drunk driving accident victims receive the compensation they need for years, and he is ready to fight, tooth and nail, for the compensation you deserve as well. Contact Merricks Law Group today so we can get started.