When trucks of massive size and weight are not driven with care, it is probable that it will lead to truck accidents with devastating consequences. Read more to see the most common causes of truck accidents and how a seasoned Tampa truck accident lawyer at Merricks Law Group, P.A. can assist you if you are ever in this unfortunate situation.
What are the most frequent causes of truck accidents in Florida?
Accidents involving 18-wheelers are most commonly due to truck driver negligence. Examples of such negligence include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Driving while fatigued: federal law limits truck drivers to 11 working hours within a 14-hour workday, and to 70 driving hours a week. Exceeding this limit may cause the driver to have reduced reflex time and reaction to outside stimuli.
- Reckless driving: an average truck needs the length of about two football fields to come to a complete stop, which may not be possible when tailgating or speeding. Trucks have limited visibility, and changing lanes without checking large blind spots can be dangerous.
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
What should I do if I am injured in a truck accident?
If you were involved in a truck accident in Flordia, you may be entitled to compensation to alleviate the physical, emotional, or financial distress you accrued. To ensure you satisfy the burden of proof of the truck driver’s negligence, follow the below steps when at the scene of the accident:
- Call the police. They will conduct a police report, which you should collect afterward. They will also call medical attention to the scene.
- Seek medical attention as soon as it arrives. If you are eventually taken to the hospital, collect all medical documents and bills afterward.
- Take photos and videos of the scene, along with any injuries or damages you received.
- Obtain the personal information of the truck driver. This includes their name, contact information, driver’s license number, and even the name of the truck company. If there are witnesses present, collect similar information, and any photos and videos they may have taken.
- Contact a knowledgeable Tampa auto accident lawyer who will provide you with the services you need.
Additionally, it is important to seek timely and consistent medical attention in the days, weeks, months, and possibly even years after the accident to build on your proof that this accident was a direct cause of a long-term injury.
Contact Our Experienced Florida Firm
If you have been injured in an accident due to no fault of your own, you need an attorney who truly cares about your right to heal. Merricks Law Group handles a wide array of injury claims, including injuries sustained in auto accidents, slip and falls, and more. Contact Merricks Law Group today.